Homemade Kiss Gloss

Kiss Gloss Brooke 13 of 20HDR
(Download this my FREE 1-page Kiss Gloss printable.  Just scroll to the bottom of the post for instant access.)

During a girls weekend last week, my daughter Becca got it in her head that we should make homemade lipgloss. She wanted something fancy to share with the cousins for the holidays.

So we tromped it to two craft stores and one grocery store and pulled together everything we needed to make a half dozen batches of holiday flavored lip gloss. Ca-ute, right?

We grabbed a bunch of bead organizers for our lip gloss containers at JoAnn. A pack of 25 containers cost $9.99, but they were 25% off for the holiday weekend, so we actually only put out $7.50 for 25 containers. Dang good deal there.

Oil based candy flavoring and a few drops of our favorite essential oils (lemon, peppermint, ginger) offered up some super rad flavors. We stirred together candy cane, mistletoe (strawberry plus peppermint), lemon drop, gingerbread (ginger plus cinnamon), watermelon (whatever, that is so a holiday flavor), and butter rum.

My favorite is butter rum. It’s like having a butterscotch candy stuck on your lips for an hour straight. Bring it.

The labels were created from 1 1/2″ round Avery stickers. We had to use our bare hands to slice the labels to a smaller size. And, we are the last family in the known universe to have a black-only printer. So the labels turned out kinda bland, but my little ladies were pretty delighted, regardless. They sniffed every gloss before twisting lids firmly in place, then toted them to Utah to dispense amongst their girl cousins. And I think Papa got a kiss gloss, too. But we won’t tell a soul about how fruity delicious his lips smelled when we smooched him goodbye on our way back to Colorado.

In other news, I consoled myself through the Thanksgiving stomach flu with Netflix episodes of Sister Wives. Why didn’t you people tell me this show was addictive?

Inexcusable. But I love you enough to give you kiss gloss anyway.

You’re gonna need soft lips for all the gossip we’ll be chatting over now that I’m in the know with my new favorite show. Gracious. I love Christine. And Meri. And Janelle rocks. Sometimes Robyn is so nice I want to pluck my eyelashes.

Go put on lip gloss. We gotta talk.

P.S. Next to Sister Wives, my other current obsession is Nicole glitter polish by OPI. You can buy it at Walgreens and Walmart. It’s so pretty it’ll make you want to do push-ups just so you can admire your fingernails.

Free Printable

I’ve turned this recipe into a simple one-page printable for you. It includes the simple Kiss Gloss recipe listed above PLUS my favorite, all-natural Smooch Gloss. Just enter your email below and get instant access to both recipes, dozens of organic flavor combinations, PLUS a shopping & supply list.

How to Make Homemade Kiss Gloss

• 1 teaspoon paraffin wax
  • 4 teaspoons coconut oil
  • 4 teaspoons petroleum jelly
  • 4 white or pink (or whatever color you like) candy melts
  • 1/2 teaspoon oil-based candy flavoring

Grate the wax into a ziploc freezer bag. Add the coconut oil, petroleum jelly, candy melts and the flavoring. Place the bag in a bowl of very hot water and allow the ingredients to melt together. Massage the bag a bit to mix the ingredients together. Snip a corner from the bag and squeeze the ingredients into small containers (we used sterilized bead holders purchased from JoAnn). Pop your lip gloss containers into the fridge to cool completely. Gift and enjoy!

231 Responses to “Homemade Kiss Gloss”

1. Cah on March 26, 2014 at 4:34 am Reply

I can’t live without the All Sensitive line for my faacil cleanser and lotion. I have horribly sensitive skin and Aveda is the only product I can use. I’ve even noticed a decrease in lines after starting to use the lotion because of how moisturized my skin stays all day!

2. Allison Shinn on April 19, 2014 at 11:44 am Reply

goat love those sister wives

3. website on April 21, 2014 at 3:18 am Reply

Me dull. You smart. That’s just what I needed.

4. Laura torchia on May 3, 2014 at 7:18 am Reply

When you say candy melts you mean chocolate?

5. click here on May 5, 2014 at 2:36 am Reply

You know what, I’m very much inclined to agree.

6. My Site on May 6, 2014 at 5:44 am Reply

Very good site you have

7. Christi on May 27, 2014 at 7:48 pm Reply

No she means melted candies I think….. I’ve made one batch with Strawberry oil and melted MintZ candy yummm

8. Elizabeth on September 22, 2014 at 9:44 am Reply

I love your website! Thank you for sharing!!

9. Donna on November 6, 2014 at 10:44 am Reply

Can you substitute something more natural other than petroleum jelly? It’s very bad for you to use on any part of your body. I love the recipe except for that. ughh.. Is it really needed? If you have any suggestions, please let me know. (I do LOVE that it has Coconut Oil in it though! VERY GOOD!) :-)

10. Kris Plummer on December 9, 2014 at 6:50 pm Reply

I LOVE your labels. Is there any way I could get the template for them?

11. Rebecca on January 9, 2015 at 1:48 pm Reply

Donna, the closet sub for petroleum jelly that I’ve found is 100% lanolin. You could also probably sub the paraffin with beeswax or carnauba wax.

12. Aadina on February 8, 2015 at 7:55 am Reply

i followed your recipe with a few changes, used dark chocolate and vanilla extract and OMG its heavenly! Melted everything with the hairdryer , easy peasy and mess free.
    Thankyou so much. :)

13. Jessica on February 22, 2015 at 7:42 am Reply

You have provided everything but information of the base used. I only see from your photo that coconut oil is used. What happens when it liquefies in warm weather? You have not suggested beeswax anywhere.

• Leigh on July 8, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Apparently you just looked at the photos and didn’t actually READ the post. I’ll make it easy for you by ‘copy and paste’. Remember, this is directly off this post:

How to Make Homemade Kiss Gloss

1 teaspoon paraffin wax
      4 teaspoons coconut oil
      4 teaspoons petroleum jelly
      4 white or pink (or whatever color you like) candy melts
      1/2 teaspoon oil-based candy flavoring

As you can CLEARLY read, the very first ingredient is Paraffin Wax……clearly a BASE product. She even supplies an alternate using Beeswax instead of Paraffin Wax.

Have a nice day and please read posts prior to commenting. You might appear intelligent by doing so.

14. Ali Readdy on April 24, 2015 at 6:17 pm Reply

nice recipes must try some of them thanks!

1 3 4 5